Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Best Christmas Present Ever

I consider myself a very lucky girl to have many, many wonderful friends in my life. While I love them all, and cherish many special memories with each, I consider Shannon my dearest; we bonded (sometime in the early 90s) over a crazy card game called Spit in the "dungeon" of Ruby Diamond Theater while rehearsing The Nutcracker and our friendship has remained steadfast through the years. We have so often been mistaken for sisters (though our physical similarities end with our blond hair and physique), that I think of Shannon more like a big sister to me than a friend. She paved many a path for me and probably knows me better than any other in the world. I'm truly, truly grateful for our friendship. On Saturday morning, she, Ben and big brother Jack welcomed this beautiful baby girl - Paige Katherine - into the world.

Three years ago, Jack Benjamin was born, and I was lucky enough to make it to New Orleans where they lived at the time for his arrival. Shannon's mom called me around 8 pm on June 24, 2006, (just as the last preview of the movie Blaine and I were seeing played) to let me know they were "checking in" at the hospital, so we quickly departed the movie and my mom and I left town at breakneck speed. I will never forget the anxiety of the five hour drive to New Orleans...I was so nervous for Shannon and wanted nothing more than to be there. The memory of holding Jack just shortly after his arrival is much like the memory of holding Logan for the first time....I love that kid so very much! That same anxiety and excited anticipation returned on Saturday morning when Ben called at 8:30 am (the entire Click household was still soundly sleeping) to let me know baby girl was on her way. This time, the commute was much easier -- I'm so, so happy to have them living here again -- and once again, Shannon made the whole childbirth experience seem too easy (she pushed just four 'gentle' pushes, no wonder she was impatient with my two hours of pushing), and she is just radiating beautiful happiness now.

Here is Shannon and I with sweet baby boy Jack in 2006. He is one excited big brother today!

Paige Katherine getting all cleaned up. Isn't she a doll?
Look familiar? This is actually Logan with the nurse DeeDee getting her bath et al after her birth. Blaine and I decided DeeDee has a pretty great job, getting to hold all these newly born babies.




Paige gave her lungs a good workout during her bath and physical exam. She really wanted to be back in mommy's arms.

Though, I think she enjoyed being under the warm light. She looks so much like Jack did....though she was a pound lighter at birth than Jack (7 pounds, 14 ounces).
Blaine and I brought Logan up to meet her new little friend this evening, and even had her saying "Paige" in the car on the way (although she likes saying "ShanShan" better). It is a little strange for me to have been 'first' at something....having a girl before Shannon, but I am so thrilled that Paige has come along. Shannon has been a lifesaver with mommy insight and advice in the past 18 months, but now I get to share girly clothes with her! It is funny to think that Logan may be the one "paving paths" for Paige. I wonder how much trouble they will get in together in about 15 years????


"Whoa!" says Logan.


I can only hope that Logan and Paige find a piece of friendship as special as the one their mommies share. We are so happy you are here Paige Katherine....what a wonderful Christmas present for all!

3 comments:

booharts said...

Ok, Nancy, you made me cry! I love you two girls so much and now the two of you have increased the number for me to love by 2 1/2 times. Thank you both for your families. Love, (Nana) Boo (Mom)

Unknown said...

Why didn't you warn me that this was going to make me bawl? I couldn't read it because my eyes were so blurry, so my mom read it and she and my dad cried, too. You and I and our families have forged a friendship over the years that definitely feels more like family than friends. Love you guys too! Thanks for the amazing blog post.

Jill said...

This has got to be the sweetest blog post by far! Congrats Shannon! She is gorgeous and I LOVE her name TONS!! You have put your friendship into words so beautifully. I hope everyone can experience a friendship like you two have- it's what life is all about! Merry Christmas to you both!