Monday, February 15, 2010

Not Every Day is Perfect

Last week was just one of those weeks. Tough on the body and tough on the soul. We couldn't get it together and little things just kept knocking us down. Friends, you know me....it takes much to knock me down and shake me to the core. But, you know when you feel as if life is ticking along just fine, you've got it all under control, and then something - big or small - just hits you, WHAM, and it takes a bit to find your center? That was me last week. Don't let me be over-exagerant here. Nothing in our life is all too terribly bad. We just simply had a bad week.

It started with 104 degree fever on Tuesday night. I made the mistake of mentioning to a friend last week that LE doesn't seem to run high fevers. In fact, in her almost two years (whoa), I can't recall a temperature over 102. So, a lethargic, crying baby girl with 104 degree fever is pretty frightening. Luckily, Motrin, Tylenol and hugs from mom and daddy seemed to bring that hotness down somewhat by morning hours. But, after a sleepless night, I had a work meeting to attend on Wednesday, and we'll just say, it was not a great meeting. Despite the fact my sales numbers are good, my company expects more from me....work harder and longer. Okay, can and will do. But, at the mercy of being perfect mommy. Not good. So, where did this lead us in my meeting? To an open discussion about me going part-time this fall being the right choice for our family. In the end, a good outcome: me, much more motivated to regain some confidence and them: a company willing to provide me with the part-time option in order to maintain a healthy work-life balance. We all win in the end (baring no major changes in our life between now and then...read, that means I must stick to the budget). However, it took some tears to get there. Yep, I cried. In a work meeting. Not me. So not me. I'm still ashamed.

And then, this weekend found me sick as a dog, laying on the couch, with 103-104 degree fever. Again, so, so not me. Needless to say, my parents stepped in, scooped Logan and I up on Saturday afternoon and babied us both Saturday night and Sunday morning. Blaine disinfected our house, aired it out, started massive doses of Airborne and prayed for God to keep him well. Two straight weeks of audits and reviews will not go away even if he is sick....this man must stay healthy.


Mid-day on Sunday found us finding our normal again, or maybe it is a bit of a new normal. My weekdays are starting very early and ending later, and I am spending evening and some weekend hours (after Logan is in bed) working on work. This goes against my fervent belief that work should be done within working hours, except in extreme cases, but it is necessary for right now. And guess what? This is short term. Hopefully my numbers will reap great benefit, and by this Fall, our normal will provide a much happier balance for the family. (Lots and lots of women do the full-time working mother thing long term, and trust me, I have ultimate respect for them).

So, while not every day is perfect, I am perfectly happy. For many reasons, but most of all because I come home to these two people that I love more than words can express.



1 comments:

Maureen said...

LOVE and good for you!! It is SO tough being a working mommy, when all you want to do is spend time with your most precious baby... Best of luck to your situation, but knowing you, it will be seamless!