Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mis-Pronunciations and a Little Gem

I love the discovery of little 'gems,' particularly if they feature wireless internet access. I'm currently in the thriving metropolis of Live Oak, FL, and after nearly five years of calling on offices over here have FINALLY found a little lunch spot that offers internet - Downtown Cafe. Now I can enjoy a little peaceful atmosphere, a great glass of sweet tea, and a few moments to blog/respond to emails during lunchtime when I'm working over here. Yay!

So, I thought I would take advantage of the time to blog about Logan's recent MIS-pronunciations....it is so funny as the little peanut learns to speak in full sentences and repeats all her mommy and daddy say. The most frequent ones are -
Cupp it = which means cut it (though I overheard her correcting herself on this one the other day and was actually a little sad to hear her already wise enough to do that)
Do et din = Do it again, which she typically says through giggling and hiccups

By far, the funniest thing is that her "Tr" sounds come out as a F sound. So train is frain, etc. This isn't really a problem, except when we are in the car. You see, Logan and I like to talk about all of the buses and trucks that we see as we spend time in the car. Bus comes out as clear as day, however, truck is not so clean-natured. In fact, it is mortifying to hear her say it. And all I can think everytime she yells out "Fruck, Fruck" is "thank you, Lord, that it is just the two of us in this car." Last Sunday, as we drove to First Baptist Church to celebrate our friends Carson & Alden's dedication, we allowed Logan to watch a little bit of the Cars DVD. The morning was playing out as a typical Sunday morning in our house (you know, the rushing, yelling at your husband, finishing makeup in the car, all so you can be on time to worship God :-). Anyway, back to Cars....the scene involving the semi-truck Mac starts, and Logan was clearly excited by the truck....she literally starts talking about it and saying her choice word over and over and over. Then, she decides she wants to talk about the other truck, which comes out "other f$%k, other f#@k). Blaine and I are both in the front seat, doing that silent laugh that parents try so hard to do when they don't want their children to know they are laughing. Tears were streaming down my face and all I can think is, dear God, what if she wants to talk about trucks at the BAPTIST church we are VISITING this morning?!? I mean, it is clear she is mis-prononcing something, but I don't want anyone to think she hears that language at home!

Needless to say, she managed to not share any of her obscene language during church. Gratefully, her toy of choice was a bus, not a truck!


Here are a few pics from a southern soiree....birthday celebration in Madison for a couple of my Uncles this past weekend.


Logan is bound and determined that she is just as big as Zachary. I love the view of the back of her precious dress Nana made her.I would steal this kid in a heartbeat and call him my own. Such a sweet, well-behaved boy, and he has such an affinity for all things musical (just check out his full drum set, electric guitar, etc. at home!)

And Baby Braxton is just as sweet as his big brother. Don't you love that bald head?

Caleb is just a few months younger than LE and it was fun to watch them interact. That guy in the background is Big Todd....my cousin that I adored with every ounce of my being when I was a toddler/kid. I truly, truly loved him and was sure I would one day marry him (and we don't do that, even with our Madison family :). Despite years of him beating me up (I'm still not 100% sure about how I hit my little seven-year-old head on the dashboard of his truck while he was causing trouble in the peach orchard), he is still near and dear to me. It is amazing to see him with three beautiful, nearly-grown children of his own, and even more fun to watch Logan play with him.

2 comments:

Jill said...

This post killed me. I literally am laughing out loud. We have too been there and said that!! The business in getting ready for Church is all too true. I often find myself wondering, " Would God really want us to go through all this stress just to get there by 9:45?"

Gilleans said...

I used to say the same thing about my dads truck when I was a little girl. However, mine wasn't FRUCK it was the real word. How mortifying for parents!!