Saturday, January 8, 2011

Strangers Shaping Our Lives

I often wonder if the time I spend on the blogosphere is a colossal waste....I adore seeing the pictures and hearing the stories of friends near and far, but I often find myself sucked into some of my favorite strangers' blogs, and can't help but wonder if I am spending too much time reading these blogs and trying to mimic portions of these strangers' lives....from their recipes and fashion to their child-rearing and home design. Is it really shaping my life in a positive manner?

And then, oh then, I come across a post like this one - http://www.kellehampton.com/2011/01/pay-it-forwardrock-oneder-fund.html - and somehow, my philosophy of "wasted time" evolves and I realize that the time I dedicate to reading about strangers' lives each week is actually helping to shape mine, mostly in a positive manner. Yes, I sometimes long for a beautiful couch or pair of shoes I spot on on a blog, or I might wish to be able to make parenting look so easy or my professional life so successful, but what I'm really doing is taking the stories these people are writing in their own lives and allowing them to impact mine, and my family's.

I started reading Kelle Hampton's blog not long after her daughter, Nella, was born and I find myself there with each post for many reasons. One, because - like many mothers, I am sure - I see a bit of myself in her. She is close to me in age, with young children, seeking the right way to raise daughters while carefully balancing the chaos of life. But, more than anything I read because her perspective is grounding and her incredibly-written words are frequently gentle reminders. Not reminders of the abundant blessing of having a healthy child, but instead, a quiet message that we - women, mothers - are capable of more than we could imagine.

This past weekend, we buried my grandfather {Pow-Pow} and celebrated his blessed life {married for 71 years to my grandmother...wow}. During the service, the minister's words about what God puts on our plates was impactful. So often, we hear people say that God never gives us more than we can handle. Actually, the message is not quite so simple - in truth, God never gives us more than He can handle. And so, by leaning on our Faith, we are enabled to handle difficult moments.

Our life is far from difficult. In fact, it is full of more smiles than I could even ask for. But, I have Faith that when hard moments are upon us, they will pass....with the simple strength of knowing I am a strong-willed woman, with God's hand in mine. What a calming concept Faith can be.

I read Kelle's post about the Oneder fund as I sat enjoying my coffee with my own strong-willed girl two weeks ago. Her daddy was out of town and we had soaked up every moment of our one-on-one time....picnics in the living room, Red Elephant Ears {a local pizzeria serving up the finest fried dough in the area}, coffee with friends...the weekend was full of 'us time.' And as I read Kelly's post, I couldn't help but be proud of this stranger for her take on life. What a beautiful way to live and what a profound impact on both of her daughters. Her goal for the Oneder fund was $15,000 that Saturday....today the fund has reached over $75K. Money raised for an amazing cause. If you wish, donate a cup or two of Starbucks to the fund {through Nella's birthday this week}. Simply click through on the banner on the front of her home page.

Here's to wasting time with strangers....it may shape your life more positively than you planned.

0 comments: