Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Fitting First Film?

Five years ago this weekend, Tax Man {not yet a Tax Man at that point} and I had just settled in at the theater to see the first Cars. As the final preview wrapped up and the film began, my phone rang {it was on silent, in my hand, anticipating this very call}. Shannon was headed to the hospital, ready to birth her first child. I may have told this story on the blog before....B and I left the movies to rush home and gather my things; I picked up my mom and we took off for New Orleans at 8 p.m. on Saturday night. We drove straight through for 5 1/2 hours....I had to use the potty desperately in the last two hours, but refused to stop - I was incredibly anxious I would miss his arrival.

This sweet boy {pictured here on his 1st birthday} patiently awaited until his future Godmother could be at the hospital {even then, he must have realized the way I always run late!}.In fact, the nervous anxiety continued for several hours until he finally came into the world and in the least cheesy way possible, my life was changed. This past week, one of my clients was talking about visiting her older sister right after she had her first child {when my client had not yet had any children of her own}. As she described the feeling of holding that baby - that tiny piece of her older sister - I realized this is not only the way my own two sisters feel about LE, but it is also the same adoring love I have for Jack....the son of my own pseudo big sister. And now, I have my own well-loved little one that adores "her Jack" beyond description.

Case in point....
Won't this picture be perfect for their rehearsal dinner?!?

This was their conversation as we left the pirate's party on Saturday.....

Me: "Logan, give Jack a hug bye-bye."
Sweet hug ensues
LE {leaning in for another}: "Jack, I'll hug you again so you can kiss me."
Jack: "Nooooo!"

Is he already in the 'girls have cooties' stage???? I'm reasonably certain this will not be the last time LE wishes he'll kiss her :).

We thought we'd wrap the weekend up by taking Miss Priss to her first movie....Cars 2 seemed appropriate and fitting, right? Cars has been one of our favorite films as it is entertaining for Tax Man and I; there is not any violence or no inappropriate jokes and nothing in the movie is frightening for a three year-old.
We should have heeded the warnings of other moms' reviews and awaited for the July 15th release of Pooh for LE's first movie {yes, Tax Man....you were right}. To say this movie stinks is putting it kindly. It lacks the great jokes and undercurrents of the first film and is over-the-top ridiculous with loud violence, complete with all manner of guns. The talk of "killing cars" was such a turn-off and the plot was entirely too complex for any child.

In any case, she was excited to be at the movie theatre and was most happy that her daddy allowed her to "play" Pac-Man after the end of the film {wonder when she will realize that you need to put money in arcade games to actually play them?}. I'm pretty certain she won't be scarred for life by anything she saw in the movie, but it certainly won't be on our "must buy" list when it releases to DVD.

Happy 5th Birthday, Jack!

3 comments:

Bethany Hartsell said...

Well, that is disappointing. But, the Jack story is too cute. Happy Birthday Little Jack, I too remember {like it was yesterday, crazy!} heading to N'awlins 5 years ago, shortly after you were born, & got to visit with your sweet little self.
P.S. you are not showing up in my Reader...glad you link to FB, good study break distraction. :-)

Unell Hussey said...

It first I thought that was a picture of Paige with the birthday hat. Forgot Jack use to have chucky cheeks!

Unknown said...

Jack love loves his Nancy and Baby Logan. Love the birth story, thanks for the great memories!