Is anyone else trying to figure out where the summer went? I can hardly remember to use the month "8" when writing the date {not to mention 2012}. How is it already the end of August? We are already back-to-school and haven't even had our vacation yet! Actually, maybe that was a good plan - ease our way into the school year and then disappear for a 10 days to seek cooler temperatures {and sister's happy nuptial celebrations} come mid-September.
It seems we just made the decision to go to preschool five mornings a week {this happened the first week of June, despite much hesitation on my part} and yet, somehow this Monday we were at school, meeting our teachers and adjusting to a new class environment. Since Peanut has a summer birthday, she should technically be headed off to Kindergarten this time next year. However, Tax Man and I made the decision three years ago to buy ourselves an extra year of time at home with LE, realizing that kids can have a boost in confidence, leadership skills and learning abilities when they are among the older children in their class. In actuality, my decision was sealed when Tax Man asked if I wanted to send her to college at 17 years old... she will probably hate us one day for this.
Until June, we had decided to go with three days a week, three-year-old class, for this year. And then we went to summer camp for a full week, and at the end, it was quite apparent to us, her teachers and the Director that she is ready for five days a week.... and eager to be in a structured learning environment {and the Director promised we can play hooky and sleep in from time-to-time!}.
So, Monday morning found us in the "big girl" building, somewhat unprepared for the transition. Her classroom is brand new, 2-3 times the size of her old classrooms, and most definitely a more structured environment, as evidenced by assigned seats at their two-foot high tables. And, biggest adjustment... closest friend and confidant, Kaley, is not in that classroom. We'd had a few brief conversations about this fact leading up to this week, but I honestly had brushed off the subject, hoping she would be distracted by the fun, new environment and forget about the lack of her friend's presence. Wrong.
Orientation can be overwhelming. Lots of kids, finding their new classrooms, discovering new toys and even more parents, meeting one another, selecting the dates to "be in charge of parties", filling out paperwork, gaining an understanding in the new class. LE was a bit out of sorts from the moment we walked in, clinging to me, until she discovered the computer {any piece of electronic equipment and she is hooked}.
After a bit of playing, her daddy encouraged sharing and she lost control at giving up control. We quietly {well, me quietly, her crying} left the classroom and took a few moments to gain ourselves in the bathroom. Deep breaths and tears wiped away, we walked out, to run into a new friend at the school, who happens to be in sweet Kaley's class. I made the mistake of saying this out loud and the waterworks began again. At this moment, my heart was breaking... and it only got worse when we rounded the corner to reunite with Kaley. The two embraced as if one had been away at war {we live eight doors down from this friend, by the way}. I literally had to turn away thanks to my own crazy emotions. After a moment of talking between the two, it was another long embrace, and then I don't think they stopped holding hands for the next 20 minutes as we went back to visit our old classroom and see our favorite music teacher, Mrs. Niks.
The reality hit me when visiting our teacher from last year - Kaley asked her, "why can't we still be in your class." Of course, your sweet teacher from last year knew exactly what to say to you to build excitement for this year... "your new class has the BEST dress up closet in the entire school!" I, on the other hand, failed at creating anticipation, and Peanut, I'm sorry for it. This was a transition and we should have talked more about it and prepared more for it.
And so we did, we spent Monday afternoon talking about all she would learn as we worked together on a special project and enjoyed the last day of summer, just the two of us. By Monday evening, our counter looked like this...
![]() | |
| Cupcakes for our Back-to-School buffet dinner and crayon/pencil vases with sunflowers for new teachers. |
And because it is my third year at this back-to-school rodeo, I know that all jitters have disappeared by pick-up on the first day. Tuesday morning went without a hitch - a well-prepared Peanut eagerly anticipating a year of learning letters and reading according to her, and mommy particularly pleased to have her to school on time!
![]() |
| Biting that bottom lip is a sure sign of those jitters... Mommy was well known for nervous lip biting as a child. |
![]() |
| And yet she found her {funny} smile. |
| And her sweet demeanor... |
We are ready to rock this year, and though my heart still yearns a bit at the reality of her inevitable growth, I could not be more in love with how happy school makes her. Her new teachers have created a loving, learning environment, and the girl is ready to soak it all in, meeting new friends along the way. And happily, play dates with Kaley will be frequent, to be sure the two girls stay as close as sisters.










1 comments:
Nancy,
I just loved this post! Obviously I am a little behind in my blog reading that I am just now getting this, but I'm so happy that Logan is enjoying school! Isn't this just the most fun time with our babies?? I just love these monkeys and miss you and "taxman"! Lets get together soon.
Katie
Post a Comment