Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Joys of Motherhood - Times Two

I went to visit two of the sweetest new baby boys yesterday. My dear friend, Caroline, gave birth to twins on July 4 and Alden & Carson are just perfect! Seeing those little tiny babies made me want another one (but not really....we'll tackle sleeping through the night before we move on to baby #2 :-). I was also reminded of what motherhood does to a girl....Caroline is just radiating happiness. I know people say that brides glow on their wedding day, but in actuality, I think women glow even brighter at the birth of their children. Caroline has adjusted to the amazing, lifechanging event of "mommy" so seamlessly....she makes it look easy, with twins!

Of course, I didn't take the camera, so here is a shot of Caroline before the boys were born (sorry Caroline). This is at Logan's birthday party about 2 1/2 weeks prior to the little firecrackers' birthday.
I'm currently reading a lazy summer book "Barefoot," which is a pretty good book (and a nice way to turn off the ever growing list of things to do in my head). I ran across this passage last night, and laughed at what a perfect depiction of our lives right now...Caroline and I were discussing just this yesterday - the way life now revolves around those sweet baby boys.

"Being a mother was the best of all human experiences, and also the most excruciating. Getting the baby to nurse, getting the baby to eat solids, getting the baby to sleep, the teething, the crying, the crawling, into everything, can't take my eyes off him for a second, a whole roll of toilet paper stuffed into the toilet, the first steps, the falling, the trips to the emergency room (Does he need stitches?), the Cheerios that stuck together and nearly choked him, the weaning from the breast, the bottle, the pacifier, the grating squeal of Elmo's voice, the first playdate, the hitting, the grabbing, the first word Dada (Dada?), the second word, mine, the earaches, the diaper rash, the croup."

And that is just the first year!

0 comments: