Saturday, June 9, 2012

There's Always Room for Ice Cream... and Lots of Friends

Hello strangers. How in the world does Peanut already have four candles burning atop her cake?


I scream, you scream, they all screamed for ice cream at her 4th birthday celebration this morning. And though the weather forecast delivered dreary, raindrop-filled news leading up to the party, the rain held out and the sunshine even tried to peek through a bit at the end. Rain, sleet, snow or sun, it didn't matter; because in the end, she deemed it a 'good day.' And in truth, that is all that really matters. 

So, for the pictures... first a few thousand pictures of the sweet details.
The Ice Cream "Parlor" spread - awning created by my perfect parents {we couldn't find wide striped yellow-white fabric, so mom just made it, like all normal people do, right?}; Mirrors were cheap Michael's frames, spray-painted with pink and looking glass spray for the vintage mirror look; wreaths are gumballs, spray-painted and hung from mirrors; frame and yum-sign from Cut It Out Frames and spray painted for party; my good friend, Linley, whipped up the "There's Always Room" sign and Nana, sisters and I all pitched in to create the sweet spread.
Clearly, we love creating cardboard structures for her parties - Tiny Town for her 2nd, Mary Poppins CityScape last year...
Tax Man & LE did the original design and constructing {based upon a Pinterest idea I handed off to Tax Man}, many hands painted {me, Logan, Nana, Aunt Libby}, Papa Bob reassembled and reinforced when it collapsed, BeBe cut and affixed the vinyl labels}.

Another beautiful BeBe Birthday Cake Creation.





*********************************************************************************
The decor and details were fun {except when we were moving them in and out due to impending rain}, but the best part... being surrounded by our loving family and so many incredible friends. As I type this, I'm tucked in bed with both my sisters and LE {yes, we all sleep at my parents, in the same bedroom, when Boston sis comes to town... you can call us crazy, but I'm certain this won't ever change}. Now that I've confessed our obscure sister bond, I'll get back to my point...

Birthday parties are humbling. All celebrations are, in fact. I recall Shannon's mom, Yenna, pulling me aside on our wedding day in 2005; taking me to the back of the room and saying, "Just stop. Look around. Savor. All these people are here because they love you." {Well, except the ones there for the free booze}. But seriously, humbling. 

I practiced this today - just took one quick moment between games and ice cream, presents and bounce houses to watch and realize - these people all took time out of their precious Saturday to be here. To celebrate this Peanut with us. Realizing that so many people love your Peanut... makes the heart full. 

Enough rambling, right. How about some sweet kiddo pictures?

LE had some very specific requests for this party. The first - a "yata" or better known as a Pinata. 
Stuffed with ice cream candies, ice cream erasers and stickers.

She practiced her "hit" the night before the party with the pinata bat. Her plan - she would go first, let all her friends go and then her final "hit" would crack it open.
Lots of photos of the yata here, but I love the looks of sheer determination on these kids' faces. 





Birthday in a Box makes a seriously sturdy yata...




She happily let her good friend, Camp, do the final "hit.

My favorite part of the yata? Watching these kids all ensure others had plenty of treats. They may be spoiled with treats, but they sure do know how to share. 

A sack race was also on the list of requested games. I sought cheap pillowcases, but buying 20+ was a bit crazy, so Nana whipped up the sacks for us instead. These will likely make an appearance at future parties... mostly for the entertainment factor.
Notice Tax Man participating.


I am missing the picture of Kent hopping all the way to the end of my parents' property line. The kid covered at least an acre in his sack!

And, pin the cherry on the ice cream cone...

Unsure of how well the weather would hold, we did the games first and then came in for ice cream treats...
 And birthday wishes...


LE sent her freends off with their yata treats, ice cream cone bubbles and cute ice cream cone felt hair clips for the girls, and then happily tore through her multitude of presents {back to the humbling feeling - countless gifts thoughtfully selected by friends and family}.









Four birthday balloons still hang from the bedroom door, marking the week-long celebrations to come. As we countdown to the actual big day next week {and much more celebratory fun}, we sleep tonight with our sweet teeth and hearts satisfied. 

It was a lovely day. And the days leading up to it - the Peanut perched on the counter helping make cake pops; watching Nana, Papa, Sisters and Tax Man all slave work away to create the day - they were lovely too.  Thanks to all that continue to share in these moments of life.

xo.

3 comments:

awhitaker said...

So sweet! Happy birthday Little Scoop!

The Smith Family said...

What an amazing party! And for such a sweet girl :)
Happy Birthday little one!

Jill said...

HAPPY Party LE!! I was so sad to miss, but SO glad I read your blog to hear about Kent getting his excercise in a sac race!! He practiced at Rox's bash :)